How do I make a claim?

Claims to Personal Independence Payment are started over the phone by calling the PIP

new claims number: 0800 917 2222

(or text phone 0800 917 7777)

You’ll be asked for the following information:

  • Contact details and date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • Bank or building society details
  • Doctor’s or health worker’s name
  • Details of any time you’ve spent abroad, or in a care home or hospital

Someone else can call on the claimant’s behalf, but the claimant will need to be there when the call is made. You can also ask for a form in writing by giving the above information by post (this can delay the decision on the claim) to:-

Personal Independence Payment New Claims
Post Handling Site B
WV99 1AH

Once the claim has been registered, DWP will send the claimant a ‘How your disability affects you’ (PIP2) form for completion, together with an information booklet.

The DWP are open on Monday to Friday from 8.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m.

Link to DWP:

Link to Citizens Advice:

When can I claim?

In order to be paid PIP the person usually has to have met the relevant disability tests for the previous three months and also expect to continue to meet them for at least a further nine months.

This does not mean that they will necessarily have to wait three months for a payment as it may be possible to show that the claimant met this test in the three months before they claimed.

If someone is moving from DLA to PIP they won’t have to show that they met the tests in the previous three months, but their needs must still be expected to last for at least nine months.

These tests do not apply to either component if a claim is made on the grounds of a terminal illness.

Before a child turns 16, the DWP will contact their parent or guardian to keep them informed of the process for claiming PIP and to find out if the child needs and appointee.

What is an appointee?

An appointee can assist with someone’s benefits because they are unable to manage their own affairs.

This may mean that they are unable to deal with completing forms, make budgeting decisions or lack capacity to cope alone. Being their appointee means you are responsible for making any claims, giving any information required and telling the Department for Work and Pensions about any changes that may affect their entitlement to benefits. The benefits may be paid to you on their behalf if it is appropriate. Becoming an appointee for benefit purposes does not mean you have any wider rights to deal with their affairs.

How do I become an ‘appointee’?

Contact the DWP. This is usually a straightforward process and should not delay any claims that you are making.